Gogebic Community College seeks candidates for a full-time TRiO Coordinator at our Ironwood, Michigan campus. Under supervision of the Director of Student Support Services (SSS), TRiO Program; provides access, advisement and assistance to SSS participants in meeting their educational needs. Coordinates direct support services for SSS participants within guidelines of the SSS grant. This program provides support services to students meeting the federal requirements of first generation status, qualifying taxable income, and students with disabilities. It is important that there is recognition, acceptance, and adherence to the community college mission and philosophy from our candidate.
- Assists with the recruitment of program participants through dissemination of information at college orientations, classes, and workshops.
- Processes student applications, conducts intake interviews, and assesses entering students’ academic needs.
- Serves as a primary advisor to SSS participants, meets with SSS participants to keep current on academic needs and progress.
- Assists in developing Individual Academic Plans for program participants, assists in identifying goals and implementing strategies to accomplish goals through the Personal Success and Services Plan (PSSP).
- Maintains student files and ensures that specific student contact requirements are met.
- Attends national and regional conferences to upgrade knowledge relating to SSS program.
- Provides preliminary advising to program participants regarding financial aid, study skills, career planning, college processes and procedures, and facilitates appropriate referrals.
- Coordinates and conducts various workshops, campus visits, and program activities for SSS participants.
- Participates in occasional overnight campus visits and cultural activities.
- Helps instruct and monitor effectiveness of SSS course CAR 103.
- Interfaces with college faculty and staff, to promote awareness and integration of SSS programming into the campus culture and assist program students with achievement of academic and personal goals.
- Researches and implements new strategies to assist students’ achievement of academic success.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Principles and practices of SSS programs.
- Admissions, financial aid, majors and careers, recruitment and study skills.
- Rules and regulations governing TRiO programs.
- Study equipment including PCs, printers, etc.
- Gogebic Community College graduation requirements and transfer requirements.
- Advising basics.
- Community college philosophy.
- Student development theory.
- Provide information and service in SSS program.
- Work with diverse populations.
- Communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Operate a PC and related software.
- Maintain effective working relationships with other people.
- Serve students individually and in groups.
Baccalaureate degree required preferably in a human services related field.
Experience in delivery of college level student services preferred.
Physical Demands The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in indoor conditions and regularly works near video display. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
This position involves occasional day and overnight travel with and without students.
Work Environment The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and ability to adjust focus.
Applications will be accepted until June 25, 2018.
Interested individuals should submit a portfolio containing:
a letter of interest
a detailed resume
three references with current contact information
unofficial transcripts (official transcripts are required before employment)
other relevant material to:
Human Resources Attn: Ashley Paquette
Gogebic Community College
E4946 Jackson Road
Ironwood, MI 49938
(906) 932-4231 ext. 324
Gogebic Community College is an equal opportunity educator and employer.